What is a Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a form of treatment which used electrotherapy, shockwave modality, joint mobilization and various other techniques for the treatment of conditions such as soft tissue injury, damage of tendons and cartilages or any other physical impairment. It aims towards the general improvement of the various physical functions of the body through examination and diagnosis along with physical therapy.
Speciality areas of physiotherapy
Physiotherapy is a huge branch which encompasses various areas of specialities, which include-
- Cardiovascular and pulmonary physiotherapy
It includes therapy for various cardiopulmonary disorders pre or post-surgical operations. Manual therapy is used to help the patients of various pulmonary disorders such as heart attacks or lung affections such as the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
It includes the therapy which focuses mainly on the issues faced by normal ageing individuals. There are several conditions which affect the older people such as arthritis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease among others. Geriatrics provides therapy for such conditions in old people.
The integumentary form of physiotherapy includes the treatment of several conditions in the human body which involves the skin and other organs.
- Neurological physiotherapy
It focuses mainly on patients having any kind of neurological disorder such facial palsy and spinal cord injury. The techniques which are used in neurological physiotherapy require additional special training.
Benefits of physiotherapy
All kinds of physiotherapy are extremely beneficial and effective in the treatment of a wide variety of conditions. Some of the most common benefits which are found in almost all the patients include-
- Reduction in pain along with a reduced need of pain medications.
- It can help a patient to avoid surgery.
- Physiotherapy can aid patients to recover quickly from any mechanical injury or trauma.
- In cases of arthritis and other joint related conditions, physiotherapy can help to restore mobility and movement.
- It is useful in management of several age related medical problems including osteoporosis and osteoarthritis among several others.